M.Sc (Physics - IIT B), Ph.D (Philosophy of Science - Göteborgs Universitet)
History and Philosophy of Science; Science, technology and development policy;
Studies on science and social movements in India.
Research programmes on the institutionalisation of the modern scientific and technological research system in late nineteenth and twentieth century India.
Studies on the social epistemology of models and theories of the history of sciences: the historiography of sciences.
Historiography of mathematical proof.
Ongoing research programmes on the cultural reception of modern science and the dialogue with other knowledge systems.
Scientometric studies on the institutionalisation of physics research in India.
Preparation of archives and databases for the hisory of sciences and technology in India.
Social history of knowledge and higher education in Modern India
Scientist, National Institute of Science Technology and Development Studies, New Delhi (1991-2002)
* Heinrich Zimmer Chair for Indian Philosophy and Intellectual History, Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg, Germany
* Adjunct Professor of History of Science, Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Chandigarh, (2010- ).
* Fellow, Wissenschaftskolleg zu Berlin, Institute of Advanced Study, Berlin (2007-2008).
* Member, Advisory Board and Research Council, National Commission for History of Science, Indian National Science Academy 2002-2004, 2004-2006, 2006-2008, …
* Member of the Advisory Board, National Book Trust of India.
* Editorial Board, Indian Journal for the History of Science, 2004 -2008, 2009 -.
* Editorial Board of VEST:Tidskrift for Vetenskapsstudier, Sweden.
* Visiting Professor, Maison de Sciences de l'Homme, Paris ; 2001 : 2002 ; 2003.
* Surinder Jodhka and Dhruv Raina, Learning Abroad: CSFP and Higher Education in India, Study Undertaken as part of Writing the History of the Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Programme, 2007. * Member of the team on the International Project of Advanced Studies, Maison des Sciences de L’Homme, Paris on The Historiography of Mathematical Proof, 2002. * Co-editor for the module on Science in South and South-East Asia in the Twentieth Century, Volume 7 of UNESCO'S History of Mankind, Routledge, 2008. * Project Coordinator, for the American Institute of Physics Sponsored Project: International Catalog of Sources for History of Physical and Applied Sciences, 1st January -31st December 1994.
Dhruv Raina, "Ramchundra's Treatise Through the Unsentimentalised Light of Mathematics or the Mathematical Foundation of a Cultural Project", Historia Mathematica, 19, 1992, 371 384.
Dhruv Raina and S.Irfan Habib, "The Moral Legitimation of Science: Bhadralok Reflections on the Theory of Evolution", Social Studies of Science 26 (1996), 9-42.
Dhruv Raina, "Reconfiguring the Centre! On the Structure of Scientific Exchanges in Colonial India", Minerva, 34: 161 - 176, 1996.
Dhruv Raina, "Disciplinary Boundaries and Civilisational Encounter: the Mathematics and Astronomy of India in Delambre’s Histoire (1800-1820)", Studies in History , 17, 2, 2001, pp. 175-209.
Dhruv Raina, "Betwixt Jesuit and Enlightenment Historiography: The Context of Jean-Sylvain Bailly’s History of Indian Astronomy", Revue d’Histoire de Mathématiques, 2003, 9, p.101-153.
Dhruv Raina, Images and Contexts: Studies in the Historiography of Science in India, Oxford University Press, 2003.
Dhruv Raina and S.Irfan Habib, Domesticating Modern Science: A Social History of Science and Culture in Colonial India, Tulika Books, 2004.
Feza Günnergun and Dhruv Raina (Eds.), Science between Europe and Asia: Historical Studies on the Transmission, Adoption and Adaptation of Knowledge, Boston Studies in the Philosophy of Science, Springer Dordrecht: 2011.