BSc (Hons), MSc, PhD
Advanced geospatial (RS, GIS, GPS/GNSS) analysis and modeling
Landscape and vegetation analysis (incl. Land use/Land cover change)
Climate change vis-à-vis ecological studies (incl. Natural Resource Management)
- Professor School of Environmental Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi (2015- till date)
- Chairperson Special Centre for Disaster Research, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi (2015- till date)
- Professor & Head Department of Natural Resources, TERI University, New Delhi (2011-2015)
- Associate Professor & Head Department of Natural Resources, TERI University, New Delhi (2007-2011)
- Scientist, Indian Institute of Remote Sensing (IIRS/ISRO), Dehradun (2000-2007)
- Adjunct faculty, Center for Space Science and Technology Education in Asia and the Pacific (Affiliated to the UN) (2000-2007)
- Research Fellow, Indian Institute of Remote Sensing (IIRS/ISRO), Dehradun (1998-2000)
- National Award for Geospatial Excellence (2020), Indian Society of Remote Sensing (ISRS/ISRO),
- Fellow - National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (FNAAS) (2019)
- Fellow - Indian Geophysical Union (FIGU) (2018)
- Platinum Jubilee Lecture (2018) Environmental Sciences Section, 105th Indian Science Congress
- P.R. Pisharoty Memorial Award (Indian National Remote Sensing Award) (2014), Indian Society of Remote Sensing (ISRS/ISRO)
- Member GIS Academia Council of India (2016-till date)
- Member Global Young Academy (GYA) (2012-till date)
- Young Scientist Platinum Jubilee Award (2009), National Academy of Sciences India (NASI)
- Young Scientist Medal (2006), Indian National Science Academy (INSA)
- Academy Gold Medal (2006), Indian Academy of Environmental Science
- Fellow - Indian Academy of Environmental Sciences (FIAES) (2004)
SUNRAISE: Sustainable Natural Resource Use in Arctic and High Mountainous Areas. A multi-institutional project Co-funded by the Earasmus+ Programme of the European Union with University of Bremen, Germany as the project coordinator and partners from Russia, India, Bhutan and EU.
URGENT: Urban Resilience and Adaptation for India and Mongolia. A multi-institutional project Co-funded by the Earasmus+ Programme of the European Union with University of Bremen, Germany as the project coordinator and partners from Mongolia, India and EU.
- P.K. Joshi, P.S. Roy, S. Singh, S. Agrawal and D. Yadav (2006). Vegetation cover mapping in India using multi-temporal IRS Wide Field Sensor (WiFS) data.Remote Sensing of Environment 103(2): 190-202.
- P.S. Roy, P.K. Joshi, D. Yadav, S. Agrawal, S. Singh, and C. Jegannathan (2006). Biome mapping in India using multi-temporal satellite data and other inputs. Ecological Modeling 197(1-2): 148-158.
- P.K. Joshi, G.S. Rawat, H. Padilya and P.S. Roy (2006). Biodiversity characterization in Nubra Valley, Ladakh with special reference to plant resource conservation and bioprospecting. Biodiversity and Conservation 15(13): 4253-4270.
- A. Chakraborty, A. Ghosh, P.K. Joshi, and G. Areendran (2013). Assessing biome boundary shifts under climate change in India. Ecological Indicators 34: 536–547.
- A. Ghosh and P.K. Joshi (2014). A comparison of selected classification algorithms for mapping bamboo patches in lower Gangetic plains using very high resolution WorldView 2 imagery. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation 26: 298–311.
- Das, J., S. Mahato, P.K. Joshi, and Yuei-An Liou (2023). Forest fire susceptibility zonation in Eastern India using statistical and weighted modelling approaches. Remote Sensing 15(5), 1340 https://doi.org/10.3390/rs15051340
- Anees, M.M., E. Banzhaf, J. Want, and P.K. Joshi (2022). Quality index approach for analysis of urban green infrastructure in Himalayan cities. Land 12(2), 279 https://doi.org/10.3390/land12020279
- Kaushik, S., T. Singh, P.K. Joshi and A.J. Dietz (2022). Automated mapping of glacial lakes using multisource remote sensing data and deep convolutional neural network. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation 115, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jag.2022.103085
- Sharma, S., P.K. Joshi and C. Furst (2022). Unravelling net primary productivity dynamics under urbanization and climate change in the Western Himalaya. Ecological Indicators 114, 109598. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolind.2022.109508
- Kumar. P., R. Pandey, Christine Fürst and P.K. Joshi (2021). The role of information infrastructure for climate change adaptation in the socio-ecological system of the Central Himalaya – availability, utility, and gaps. Socio-Ecological Practice Research 3, 397-410. https://doi.org/10.1007/s42532-021-00096-1