Ph.D.(1983) from Jawaharlal Nehru University;
M.Phil (1978) from Jawaharlal Nehru University;
M.A.(Economics, 1975) from Gauhati University.
Economics of Education; International Migration and Diaspora Studies; International Trade in Services; Governance and Law in Education.
* Lecturer, Post-Graduate Department of Economics, Gauhati University (1983).
* Visiting Fellow, Institute of Development Studies (IDS), University of Sussex, United Kingdom (1983-85).
* Senior Research Associate at ZHCES (1986-1988), and UGC Research Scientist at Centre for Economic Studies & Planning (CESP) (1988-1992), Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi.
* Associate Professor of Economics at Management Development Institute (MDI), Gurgaon (1992-95).
* Associate Professor of Economics and Education, ZHCES, SSS, Jawaharlal Nehru University (1995-1999).
* Professor of Economics and Education, ZHCES, SSS, Jawaharlal Nehru University (Jan., 2000 -).
* Chairperson, ZHCES, SSS, Jawaharlal Nehru University (1999-2001; 2003-2005; 2011-).
- Member, Editorial Boards:
Asian and Pacific Migration Journal (APMJ) (Philippines; July, 2006 - ); The South Asian Diaspora, Francis & Taylor (India; 2009 - ); Journal of International Migration and Integration (Canada 2010-) ; International Journal of Organizational Studies (Slovenia; 2010-); Migration Studies (forthcoming from OUP, UK; 2013-); Encyclopedia of Global Human Migration (CUNY, New York, forthcoming).
- Fulbright American Research Fellowship Program (ARFP 1994-95) of USEFI, at the Institute for Economic Development (IED), Boston University, for post-doctoral research on "Assimilation of Asian Indian Immigrants in the United States and Their Possible Role as Human Capital in India`s Economic Development".
- Times Fellowship 1992, in the "General" category, for the project "Return of Human Capital - The Second Generation Effects of Brain Drain". This was a national award established by the Times Fellowships Council (incorporated by the Times of India group of newspapers) for research on issues of national concern to India, and awarded every year in two categories - General and Journalist. Centre for Contemporary Studies (CCS) at the Nehru Memorial Museum and Library (NMML), at the Teen Murti House, New Delhi, provided affiliation during 1993-95 for carrying out this research.
- National Post-doctoral Fellowship (1983-85) of Government of India for Research and Study Abroad, at the Institute of Development Studies (IDS), University of Sussex, UK.
- University Medal for securing 1st position in Economics, B.A. (Honours) Examination, 1973 of Gauhati University.
- Scroll of Honour for securing 2nd position in the Higher Secondary School Leaving Certificate Examination, 1970 of the Board of Secondary Education, Assam.
1. "Migration, Scientific Diasporas and Development Impact of Return Migration on India", Swiss Network for International Studies (SNIS) funded project, in collaboration with Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne (EPFL), Lausanne and Institute for Development Studies Kolkata (IDSK), Kolkata, (2011-12).
2. Country Profiles on Migration – India, International Organisation for Migration (IOM) (2011).
3. Feasibility of Circular Migration, International Organisation for Migration (IOM) (2011).
(1) "The Subsidies Question in Higher Education - Tight-Rope Walking for Public Policy Makers in Developing Countries", Journal of Educational Planning and Administration, vol. 3, Jan. & April, pp. 43-59, 1989, New Delhi.
(2) "Science, Technology and Human Capital" in Majumdar, Tapas ed.(1993), Nature, Man and the Indian Economy, Oxford University Press, Delhi.
(3) The Migration of Knowledge Workers: Second-Generation Effects of India`s Brain Drain, Sage Publications, New Delhi, 1999. Well-received as a pioneering work in the field with a changed perspective. The book has been extensively reviewed in academic journals, newspapers and magazines both in India and abroad.
(4) "Shifting Paradigms of Globalization: The Twenty-first Century Transition towards Generics in Skilled Migration from India," International Migration, Quarterly Review of the IOM (Geneva), 39, 5, 2001, Special issue 1/2001 on: International Migration of the Highly Skilled, pp.45-72. Extensively cited and reprinted in commemorative volume.
(5) "Adversary Analysis and the Quest for Global Development: Optimizing the Dynamic Conflict of Interest in Transnational Migration," Social Analysis, 53, 3, Winter, 2009, in Special Section: Migration, Development and Transnationalization: A Critical Stance, Guest Editors: Thomas Faist and Nina Glick-Schiller, pp. 106-122.
(1) (Guest Editor) for Asian Population Studies (APS), Special Issue on Skilled Diasporas in Asian Development, Vo. 3. No. 2, 2007.
(2) India Migration Report 2009: Past, Present and the Future Outlook, General Editor, International Migration and Diaspora Studies (IMDS) project, launched on 18 December 2009, International Migrants Day, exclusively distributed by Cambridge University Press, New Delhi.
(3) India Migration Report 2010-11: The Americas, Cambridge University Press, New York (2012).