* Ph.D. Plant Molecular Biology, University of Delhi South Campus, New Delhi, India
* Masters in botanical Sciences, Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar India.
* Plant Genomics and Genome Engineering
* Functional Genomics Tools for Millets
* Feedstock Improvement for biofuels and Stress Tolerance
* Plant Molecular Farming for Pharmaceuticals and Therapeutics.
* Assistant Professor, 2014 onwards, Crop Genetics and Informatics Group
* Visiting Scientist (B-ACER Fellow), University of California, Berkeley (2018-19)
* Ramalingaswami Fellow, 2014-18.
* Postdoctoral Employee, University of California Davis CA & Joint BioEnergy Institute Emeryville, California (2009 - 2014)
* Research Associate, DPMB, University of Delhi South Campus, (2007 - 2009)
* DBT Ramalingaswami Fellowship 2013
* JRF & SRF of UGC/CSIR Govt. of India 2002-2007
* Associate Editor, Frontiers in Plant Sciences
* Optimization of an efficient and robust regeneration system for Sorghum bicolor: A vital step towards genetic engineering-based sorghum improvement (2022). Plant Physiology Reports, 27, 30-43; Kumar N, Yadav S, Maithili S, Prasad R, Pal M, and Sharma MK.
* Morphogene-assisted transformation of Sorghum bicolor allows more efficient genome editing (2021) Plant Biotechnology J. 20(4): 748-760; Aregawi K, Shen J, Pierroz G, Bucheli C, Sharma M, Dahlberg J, Owiti J, Lemaux PG
* Magnetic nanoparticles: An emerging nano-based tool to fight against viral infections (2021). Materials Advances, 2, 4479-4496; Jat SK, Gandhi HA, Bhattacharya J and Sharma MK
* Genomic mechanisms of climate adaptation in polyploid bioenergy switchgrass (2021). Nature, 590, 438-444; Lovell J, MacQueen A, …. Sharma MK, ……. Schmutz J.
* Divergence among rice cultivars reveals roles for transposition and epimutation in ongoing evolution of genomic imprinting (2021). PNAS, 118 (29) e2104445118; Rodrigues JA, Hsieh P-H, Ruan D, Nishimura T, Sharma MK, Sharma R, Ye C, Nguyen ND, Nijjar S, Ronald PC, Fischer RL, Zilberman D
* Phylogenomic analysis of R2R3 MYB transcription factors in sorghum and their role in conditioning biofuel syndrome (2020). Current genomics, 21(2):138-154; Singh V, Kumar N, Dwivedi AK, Sharma R and Sharma MK
* Nanomaterials based gene delivery: A promising method for plant genome engineering (2020). Journal of Materials chemistry B, 8:4165-4175; Jat SK, Bhattacharya J, and Sharma MK.
* Sweet Sorghum as Biofuel Feedstocks: Recent Advances and Available Resources (2017). biotechnology and Biofuels, 10:146; Mathur S, Umakanth AV, Tonapi VA, Sharma R, and Sharma MK.
* Halophytes as Bioenergy Crops (2016). Front. Plant Sci. 7:1372; Sharma R, Wungrampha S, Singh V, Pareek A and Sharma MK
* Comparative phylogenomic analysis provides insights into TCP gene functions in Sorghum (2016). Scientific Reports, 6, 38488; Francis A, Dhaka N, Bakshi M, Jung K-H, Sharma MK and Sharma R
* Targeted switchgrass BAC library screening and sequence analysis identified predicted biomass and stress response-related genes (2015). Bioenergy Research, 9:109; Sharma MK, Sharma R, Cao P, Jenkins J, Grimwood J, Zhang j, Udvardi MK, Schmutz J and Ronald PC
* Recent advances in dissecting stress regulatory crosstalk in rice (2013) . Molecular Plant, 6(2), 250-60; Sharma R, David D, Sharma MK and Ronald PC
* Imprinted expression of genes and small RNA is associated with localized hypomethylation of the maternal genome in rice endosperm (2013). PNAS, 110(19):7934-9; Rodrigues JA, Ruan R, Nishimura T, Sharma MK, Sharma R, Ronald PC, Fischer RL and Zilberman D
* Construction of a rice glycoside hydrolase phylogenomic database and identification of targets for biofuel research (2013) . Front. Plant Sci. 26, 330; Sharma R, Cao P, Jung K, Sharma MK & Ronald PC
* A genome-wide survey of switchgrass genome structure and organization (2012). PLoS One, 7 (4) e33892. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0033892; Sharma MK, Sharma R, Cao P, Jenkins J, Bartley L, Grimwood J, Schmutz J, Rokhsar D and Ronald PC
* Development of an integrated transcript sequence database and a gene expression atlas for gene discovery and analysis in switchgrass (Panicum virgatum L.) (2013). The Plant Journal,74(1), 160-73; Zhang JY, Lee YC, Jerez IT, Wang M, ........ Sharma MK, Sharma R, Ronald P, Saha M, Dixon R, Tang Y and Udvardi M
* Reference genome sequence of the model plant Setaria (2012). Nature Biotechnology, 30, 555-561. doi:10.1038/nbt.2196; Bennetzen JL, Schmutz J, Wang H, Percifield R, Hawkins J, Pontaroli AC, Estep M, Feng L, Vaughn JN, Grimwood J, ....... Sharma MK, Sharma R, Ronald PC, Panaud O, Kellogg EA, Brutnell T, Doust A, Tuskan GA, Rokshar D, Devos KM.
* Identification, phylogeny and transcript profiling of ERF family genes during development and abiotic stress treatments in tomato (2010). Mol. Gen. Genomics 284, 455-475; Sharma MK, Kumar R, Solanke AU, Sharma R, Tyagi AK and Sharma AK.
* Genome sequence analysis of the model grass Brachypodium distachyon: insights into grass genome evolution (2010). Nature 463, 763-768; The International Brachypodium Initiative
* Plant as Bioreactors: Recent Developments and Emerging Opportunities (2009) . Biotechnology Advances 27, 811-832; Sharma AK and Sharma MK
* Expression of toxin co-regulated pilus subunit A (TCPA) of Vibrio cholerae and its immunogenic epitopes fused to cholera toxin B subunit in transgenic tomato (Solanum lycopersicum) (2008). Plant Cell Reports 27, 307-318; Sharma MK, Singh N, Jani D, Sisodia R, Thungapathra M, Gautam JK, Meena LS, Singh Y, Ghosh A, Tyagi AK and Sharma AK
* Expression of accessory colonization factor subunit A (ACFA) of Vibrio cholerae and ACFA fused to cholera toxin B subunit in transgenic tomato (Solanum lycopersicum) (2008). Journal of Biotechnology 135, 22-27; Sharma MK, Jani D, Thungapathra M, Gautam JK, Meena LS, Singh Y, Ghosh A, Tyagi AK and Sharma AK
* Textbook of Biotechnology, 11th & 12th, National Council of Education Research & Training, 2020-22.
* Gupta P, Sharma R, Sharma MK, Sharma MP, Satpute GK, Garg S, Singla-Pareek SL, Pareek, A. (2016) Signaling cross talk between biotic and abiotic stress responses in soybean In: Abiotic and Biotic Stresses in Soybean Production, Soybean Production volume 1, Edt. Mohammad Miransari, Elsevier Inc. published on December 31, 2015.
* Sharma AK, Sharma MK (2014) Plants as host for recombinant DNA. In. Gene and its Engineering; Edited by H. K. Das, Wiley India, CBS Publishers, pp 410-433.