Ph.D. in Philosophy (Delhi University)
M. Phil. in Philosophy (Delhi University)
M.A. in Philosophy (Delhi University/ St. Stephen’s College)
B.A. in Philosophy (Delhi University/ Lady Sri Ram College)
Contemporary Indian Philosophy, Philosophy of M K Gandhi, Social and political Philosophy, Moral philosophy
- Student Union Adviser at Kamala Nehru College from July 1999 to July 2001.
- Head of the Department of Philosophy, Kamala Nehru College from July 2000 to July 2002.
- Teacher-in-Charge Department of Philosophy South Campus Delhi University from April 2006- 1 November 2015.
- Member of the Governing Body of Gandhi Bhavan, Delhi University, from 2006 – 2008. Was re-nominated member of the same body from 2008-2010.
- Member of the Advisory Committee, of the Centre of Gandhian Studies, GITAM University, Visakhapatnam, from February 2009.
- Appointed by the Vice-Chancellor Delhi University as the E.C.Nominee on the Managing Committee of University Hostel for women, Delhi University, for a term of two years from 22 January 2015.
- Appointed Chairperson of the Governing Body of the college, Aditi Mahavidyalaya, University of Delhi from 31 March 2015.Functioned as Chairperson till October 2016.
- Appointed by the Vice Chancellor Delhi University to act as Head of the Department of Philosophy University of Delhi from 1 July 2015 till 30 July 2015.
- Appointed Chairperson of the Centre for Philosophy, School of Social Sciences Jawaharlal Nehru University by the Vice Chancellor of Jawaharlal Nehru University from 27 February 2017 for a period of two years.
- Appointed as an external member of the Advisory Academic Council for the National Resource Centre Ramanujan College University of Delhi on “Human Rights, Environment and Ethics” from May 2018.Attended meetings in 2018 at Ramanujan College Delhi University.
- Nominated as member on the Academic Committee of the Army Cadet College Indian Military Academy Dehradun by the Vice Chancellor of JNU from 1 April 2017.This appointment was made for two years.
- Re-appointed Chairperson of the Centre for Philosophy, School of Social Sciences Jawaharlal Nehru University by the Vice Chancellor from 27 February 2019 for a period of two years.
- Indian Philosophical Congress Medal for securing the highest marks in BA Hons in Philosophy in Delhi University.
- Prizes for Best Student in Philosophy, Lady Sri Ram College (first position in the University as well as in the College) for three years during BA Hons; Academic Excellence Award in Lady Sri Ram College for best student in BA Hons program.
- Indian Philosophical Congress Medal for best performance in the MA Examination in Philosophy in Delhi University.
- Dr. S. Radhakrishnan Medal for being the best candidate in the M.A. Examination in the subjects English, History and Philosophy in Delhi University.
- N.V.Banerjee Prize for being the best candidate in the M.A examinations in Philosophy and Psychology.
- N.V.Thandani Memorial Prize for being the candidate who secured the highest marks in the paper on “Indian Philosophy” in the M.A. Examination in Delhi University.
- Qualified in the UGC Test for JRF and Eligibility for Lectureship held in December 1989/April 1990 in Philosophy.
- Second Prize for the essay entitled, “Philosophy and Social Studies” at the national level “Essay Competition-cum-Young Scholars meet” conducted by the Indian Council of Philosophical Research in 1991.
- Co-convener (from India) for an International conference on “Living with Religious Diversity” held at the IIC New Delhi fromFebruary17-19, 2013.This seminar was organized by me jointly with Sonia Sikka (Department of Philosophy University of Ottawa Canada) and Lori Beaman, Canada Research Chair in the Contextualization of Religion in a diverse Canada, (Religious Studies, University of Ottawa). The seminar was supported by the University of Ottawa Canada, the SSHRC Canada and the IIC New Delhi. The conference website may be accessed at www.livingwithreligiousdiversity.com
- Delivered a talk, on “Kant and the purity of the moral life” at the International Book Fare at Frankfurt on 6 October 2006, at a panel discussion on the two volumes “Essays on the Philosophy of Immanuel Kant” edited by Bindu Puri and Heiko Sievers.The discussion was held at pavilion of the Goethe Institute, Germany.
- Invited to deliver the ‘Carleton Philosophy Colloquium’ on 23 September 2010 at the Department of Philosophy, University of Carleton, Ottawa, Canada; my talk was on “Re-constructing a paradox in Liberalism; A Gandhian Perspective”.
- Invited to deliver a lecture as part of the series entitled “Public conference” by the Departments of Religious studies and Philosophy at the University of Ottawa Canada. The lecture entitled, “Gandhi: Violence and Non-violence in the context of the Bhagavad-Gita” was delivered on Wednesday September 22, 2010 in the Faculty of Arts University of Ottawa, Canada.
- Delivered the annual M K Gandhi Lecture on Peace and the Humanities organized by the Mahatma Gandhi Peace Council of Ottawa at Carleton University Canada on October 1 2017. The lecture was on “Samadarshana and samabhava: Gandhi on the plurality of religions”.
- Delivered the Hastings lecture at the University of Mount Allison, Sackville, Canada on October 2 2017.This was a public lecture on “Gandhi and the good human Life-dayadharma and the great Tapasvi”.
- Delivered the Johnson lecture at the University of Mount Allison, Sackville, Canada on October 3 2017.This was on “The Gandhi Tagore debate-The nature of Truth and possible sources of Untruth”.
- As Chairperson of the Centre for Philosophy SSS JNU convened and chaired a meeting and discussion with the Dr (Ms.) Lucrecia Mendez de Penedo, Vice President (Academic) of Rafael Landivar University, Guatemala and the Ambassador of Guatemala H .E Giovanni Castillo at the conference room of the center for Philosophy JNU on 6 November 2017. The meeting was organized by the Indian Council for Cultural Relations under the Academic Visitors program.
- “The Self and the Other: Liberalism and Gandhi published ”Philosophia 39 (4): 673-698(2011)(E-offprint) ISSN0048-3893 Philosophia DO1 10.1007/s11406-011-9323-8.
- Freedom and the Dynamics of the Self and the ‘Other’ ”; Re-constructing the Debate between Tagore and Gandhi” (SOPH450) Sophia. International Journal of Philosophy and Traditions. Sophia 52 (2): 335-357, 2013. (ISSN: 0038-1527 print version). Journal No-11841
- “Finding reasons for being Reasonable: Interrogating Rawls”Sophia (Springer) Vol. 54, Issue 2, pp. 117-141 (online in May 2014), June 2015. (ISSN 0038-1527).
- Faith and Reason: An alternative Gandhian Understanding” published in August 2019 in Journal Of Dharma Studies, 1-21 (Springer ISSN 25220926 e version-25220934). DOI 10.1007/s42240-019-00048-9
- “Absolute Equality and Absolute Difference: Gandhi on the Plurality of Religions”(PHIA-D-19-00123) Philosophia (ISSN0048-3893.In press (DOI: 10.1007/s11406-019-00136-x).
- Bindu Puri Gandhi and the Moral Life, Mittal Publishers, New Delhi, August 2004. (ISBN: 8170999707 PB)
- Bindu PuriThe Gandhi Tagore Debate: On matters of Truth and Untruth. Sophia: Studies in Cross-cultural Philosophy of Traditions and Cultures, Vol. 9, Springer 2015. (ISBN 978-81-322-2115-9)
- Bindu Puri and Heiko Sievers (Editors), Reason morality and Beauty; Essays on the Philosophy of Immanuel Kant, Oxford University Press, New Delhi 2007, Released at the Frankfurt Book Fair on October 6th 2006, Frankfurt, Germany. . (ISBN: 0195683935, 9780195683936)