Centre for Philosophy,
School of Social Sciences
firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com
Ph.D. in Philosophy (Delhi University)
M. Phil. in Philosophy (Delhi University)
M.A. in Philosophy (Delhi University/ St. Stephen’s College)
B.A. in Philosophy (Delhi University/ Lady Sri Ram College)
Areas of Interest/Specialization
Contemporary Indian Philosophy with special reference to the Philosophy of M K Gandhi, Rabindranath Tagore, Sri Aurobindo and B. R Ambedkar. Social and political Philosophy, Moral philosophy.
- Teacher-in-Charge, Department of Philosophy (South Campus) University of Delhi from April 2006- 1 November 2015.
- Member, Governing Body of Gandhi Bhavan, University of Delhi, from 2006 – 2008. Was re-nominated member of the same body from 2008-2010.
- E.C. Nominee on the Managing Committee of University Hostel for women, University of Delhi, for a term of two years w.e.f 22 January 2015.
- Member, Governing Body of Aditi Mahavidyalaya, University of Delhi, for a period of one year from 9.3.2015. This membership was extended for one more year and I continued as Chairperson till October 2016.
- Chairperson, Governing Body of Aditi Mahavidyalaya, University of Delhi from 31 March 2015 to October 2016.
- Chairperson of the Centre for Philosophy, School of Social Sciences Jawaharlal Nehru University from 27 February 2017 for a period of two years.
- External member Advisory Academic Council for the National Resource Centre,on “Human Rights, Environment and Ethics” Ramanujan College, University of Delhi on w.e.f May 2018.
- Member on the Academic Committee of the Army Cadet College, Indian Military Academy, Dehradun from 1 April 2017. This appointment was made for two years.
- Chairperson of the Centre for Philosophy, School of Social Sciences Jawaharlal Nehru University from 27 February 2019 for a period of two years.
- Member, Board of Studies in Philosophy at North Eastern Hill University Shillong for a period of three years w.e.f 18.11.2020.
Awards & Honours
- Indian Philosophical Congress Medal, 1987
- Best Student in Philosophy Award, Lady Sri Ram College (first position in the University as well as in the College) for three years from 1984-85 to 86-87.
- Academic Excellence Award in Lady Sri Ram College for the year 1987.
- Indian Philosophical Congress Medal for the year 1989 for best performance in the MA Examination in Philosophy;
- Dr. S. Radhakrishnan Medal in 1989 for being the best candidate in the M.A. Examination in the subjects English, History and Philosophy.
- N. V. Banerjee Prize in 1989 for being the best candidate in the M.A examinations in Philosophy and Psychology.
- N. V. Thandani Memorial Prize in 1989 for being the candidate who secured the highest marks in the paper on “Indian Philosophy” in the M.A. Examination of 1989.
- “Pride of the Nation Excellence Awards – 2021” awarded by Respect India to commemorate my achievements in the field of Gandhian Philosophy.
- Appointed as a board member on The International Editorial Board, for the Journal of Philosophy, Sophia published by Springer in January 2014.
- Re-appointed as a board member on the International Editorial Board, for the Journal of Philosophy, Sophia published by Springer 15 September 2020.
- Appointed as a member on the Editorial Board, for the Journal of Philosophy, Philosophia. Philosophical Quarterly of Israel in January 2022.This journal is published by Springer.
- Appointed a Non-Resident Fellow of the Australia India Institute, University of Melbourne w.e.f 11 January 2022.
Best Peer Reviewed Publications
- Puri, Bindu (2011) “The Self and the Other: Liberalism and Gandhi” Philosophia 39 (4): 673-698. ISSN0048-3893 Philosophia DO1 10.1007/s11406-011-9323-8.
- Puri, Bindu (2013) “Freedom and the Dynamics of the Self and the ‘Other’‘”; Re-constructing the Debate between Tagore and Gandhi”, Sophia. International Journal of Philosophy and Traditions, 52 (2): 335-357, 2013. (ISSN: 0038-1527 print version). Journal No-11841
- Puri, Bindu (2014) “Finding reasons for being Reasonable: Interrogating Rawls”, Sophia (Springer) Vol. 54, Issue 2, pp. 117-141 (online in May 2014), June 2015. (ISSN 0038-1527).
- Puri, Bindu (2020) “Absolute Equality and Absolute Difference: Gandhi on the Plurality of Religions” Philosophia, 48, 727–742 (2020). (https://doi.org/10.1007/s11406-019-00136-x)
- Puri, Bindu (2022) “Satyagraha and swaraj: Equality before freedom” invited contribution to the American Philosophical Association’s Special Spring 2022 issue “APA Studies on Asian and Asian American Philosophers and Philosophies.”
Recent Peer Reviewed Journals/Books
- Puri, Bindu (2015) The Gandhi Tagore Debate: On matters of Truth and Untruth. Sophia: Studies in Cross-cultural Philosophy of Traditions and Cultures, Vol. 9, Springer. (ISBN 978-81-322-2115-9)
- Puri, Bindu (2022) The Ambedkar-Gandhi Debate: On Identity, Community and Justice, Springer Nature Publications, Singapore. ISBN 978-981-16-8686-3.
- Puri, Bindu (ed) (2001) Mahatma Gandhi and His Contemporaries. New Delhi: IIAS. (ISBN: 8179860280, 9788179860281)
- Puri, Bindu (Guest Editor) (2004) Recalling Mahatma Gandhi special issue of the Journal of Peace Studies, published by International Centre for Peace Studies Vol. 11, Issue3, July-September 2004. (ISSN: 0972-5563)
- Puri, Bindu and Sievers, Heiko (eds), (2007) Reason morality and Beauty; Essays on the Philosophy of Immanuel Kant, Oxford University Press, New Delhi 2007, Released at the Frankfurt Book Fair on October 6th 2006, Frankfurt, Germany. (ISBN: 0195683935, 9780195683936)
- Puri, Bindu and Sievers, Heiko (eds), (2007) Terror, Peace and Universalism. Essays on the Philosophy of Immanuel Kant, Oxford University Press, New Delhi, 2007. Released at the Frankfurt Book Fair on October 6th 2006, Frankfurt, Germany. (ISBN: 0195683943, 9780195683943)
- Puri, Bindu; Sikka, Sonia; and Beaman, Lori (et. Al.) (2014) The IIC Quarterly Special issue on Living with Religious Diversity. New Delhi, April 2014.
- Puri, Bindu; Sikka, Sonia; and Beaman, Lori (et. Al.) (2016) Living with Religious Diversity, Routledge, New Delhi.
- Puri, Bindu & Kumar, Abhishek (Eds) (2021) Rethinking Religious Pluralism: Moving Beyond Liberal Tolerance, Springer, New Delhi. ISBN 978-981-15-9539-4.
- Puri, Bindu (Ed.) (2022) Reading Sri Aurobindo- Metaphysics Ethics and Spirituality. Springer Publications, New Delhi 2022. ISBN 978-981-19-3135-2