1998: Higher Diploma in Software Engineering, APTECH, Udupi, Karnataka
1993: Ph.D., Human Genetics Division, Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University
1986: M.Sc., Zoology, Department of Biosciences, University of Jammu
1984: Bachelors in Science, 1st Div, University of Jammu, J&K
1980: Matriculation, 1st Div, National High School, Srinagar, Kashmir, J&K
Synthetic Biology and Policy
1. Member, Governing Council, NIFTEM, Thanjavur (ongoing)
2. Member, Governing Council, Presidency University, Kolkata (ongoing)
3. Member , JNU-LBS NAA, Mussoorie Academic Committee (ongoing)
4. Member, DRDO, Recruitment Committee, New Delhi (completed)
5. Member, JNU-DIPAS (DRDO) Academic Committee New Delhi (ongoing)
6. Member, Advisory Committee, Hunt for Vaccine, Govt. of India & UK Govt. (ongoing)
7. Member, JNU-Indian Naval Academy Kerala Academic Committee (ongoing)
8. Member, JNU-Raman Research Institute, Bangaluru, Academic Committee (ongoing)
9. Member, JNU-CDRI Academic Committee, Lucknow (ongoing)
10. Member, IMTECH Research Council, Chandigarh (completed)
11. Member, JNU-THSTI Academic Committee, Faridabad (completed)
12. Member, JNU-NII Academic Committee, New Delhi (ongoing)
13. Member, Academic Advisory Council, CEC, IUAC, New Delhi (completed)
14. Member, JNU NIPGR Academic Committee, New Delhi (ongoing)
15. Member, DBT Task Force, Genome Engineering, New Delhi (completed)
16. Member, DBT Human Resource Development Program, New Delhi (completed)
17. Member, Indian Oil Company, Faridabad - Biosafety committee (ongoing)
18. Member, JNU-CCMB Hyderabad Academic Committee (completed)
19. Member, Board of Studies, Gujarat National Law University (ongoing)
20. Member, Board of Studies, Biotechnology, Central Univ of Kashmir (ongoing)
21. Member, Oversight Committee, DBT Bioenergy Centres (completed)
22. Member, MHRD, Selection Committee, Commonwealth Scholarship UK (completed)
23. Member, MHRD, Selection Committee, Scholarship, Japan (completed)
24. Member, DBT, Task Force, Marine Biotechnology, New Delhi (completed)
25. Member, NII, Faculty promotion Screening Committee, New Delhi (completed)
32. Member, Corpus Fund Committee, tional Collaboration Standing Committee, Head, RIKEN, Japan and Tata Consultancy Services, Hyderabad Project (completed)
36. Management Board, Bioinformatics Institute, A*STAR, Singapore (completed)
March 2015 - ongoing
Professor, School of Biotechnology, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
Oct 2013 – Feb 2015
Professor, Synthetic Biology, Dept. of Life Sciences, Shiv Nadar University, Greater Noida, U.P.
June 2011 – Jan 2013
Professor, School of Biomedical Sciences, Symbiosis International University, Pune
April 2010 – May 2011
Director, Centre for Systems and Synthetic Biology, University of Kerala, Trivandrum, Kerala
Jan 2006 – Sept 2009
Senior Scientist and Team Leader, Synthetic Biology, RIKEN Advanced Sciences Institute, Yokohama, Japan
| Adjunct Faculty, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Japan
July 2002 – Dec 2005
Senior Scientist & Group Leader, Systems Biology, Bioinformatics Institute, Singapore
| Adjunct Faculty, Department of Biochemistry, National University of Singapore
June 2001 – June 2002
Assistant Professor, Systems Biology, Institute of Advanced Biosciences, Tsuruoka, Japan, Keio University, Japan
May 2000 – May 2001
Visiting Scientist, Dept. of Radiation Genetics, Kyoto University, Japan
Oct 1997 - April 2001
Associate Professor & Lab Head, Human Genetics Division, Manipal University, Karnataka
Mar 1997 – Sept 1997
Visiting Scientist, Institute for Medical Radiation Biology, University of Essen, Essen, Germany
Oct 1993 - Sept 1997
Assistant Professor & Lab Head, Human Genetics Division, Manipal University, Karnataka
1. Led a RIKEN Institute (Yokohama, Japan) and Tata Consultancy Services (Hyderabad) project on computational metagenomics (2007-2009).
The aim of this project was a develop a computational pipeline from a DNA sequence input to a metabolic pathway prediction
2. External Reviewer, European Science Foundation (ongoing)
- Policy and Research Planning for Synthetic Biology
Dhar Pawan K, Pisupati B
[This is the First Indian Foresight report in Synthetic Biology)
- Exploring the Future of Synthetic Biology in India and its probable pathways from Infancy to Maturity
Curr Synthetic Sys Biol 2013, 1: 106
Singh D and PK Dhar.
- tREPs – a new class of functional tRNA encoded peptides
ACS Synthetic Biology ACS Omega 2022, 7, 22, 18361–18373
Chakraborty A, M Kaushik, J Khan , D Soota, Kalai P, S Saini , S Manvati, J Singhal, A Ranganathan, S. Pati*, PK Dhar*, S Singh*.
(* corresponding authors)
[This is the First report that provides experimental evidence towards designing functional peptides from tRNA molecules]
- Making novel proteins from pseudogenes
Bioinformatics. 2015: 31, 33-9
Shidhi PR, Suravajhala P, Nayeema A, Nair AS, Singh S, Dhar PK.
- Building Biofoundry India: Challenges and Path Forward
Synth. Biol (Oxf) 2021, 6(1):y`sab015
Panda B, Pawan K. Dhar.
- Making novel proteins from pseudogenes
Bioinformatics. 2015: 31(1):33-9
P.R.Shidhi, P. Suravajhala, A. Nayeema, AS. Nair, S. Singh, PK. Dhar
7. Synthesizing non-natural parts from natural genomic template
J. Biol. Engg. 2009: 3, 2
Dhar PK, * CS Thwin, K Tun, Y Tsumoto, S Maurer-Stroh, F Eisenhaber, U Surana
[This was the first report on making functional proteins from the non-expressing DNA
leading to the establishment of"Dark Genome Project" - going on since 2009]
1. The Dark Genome - a personal voyage.
Amazon Kindle Edition 2022. ASIN: B0B58WGHR7
Pawan K Dhar.
2. Genome Engineering via CRISPR-Cas9 system.
Academic Press, USA.
Vijai Singh, Pawan K. Dhar (2020)
3. Systems and Synthetic Biology
Springer Publishers, USA
Vikram Singh, Pawan Dhar (2015)
4. E-Cell System : Basic concepts and applications
Kluwer Academic Publishers & Landes Biosciences. USA.
S. Arjun, Pawan Dhar, Masaru Tomita (2005)
5. Textbook of Biochemistry
Jay Pee Brothers Medical Publishers, New Delhi, (1998).
Vasudevan DM, Sreekumari, S, Dhar Pawan, Bhat PG
6. Human Genetics
Jay Pee Brothers Medical Publishers, New Delhi, (1997).
1. Building a novel drug discovery platform from the dark genome
Book chapter in: “Translational Biotechnology: A Journey from Laboratory to Clinics"
Neeraj Verma, Pawan K Dhar. Editor: Yasha Hasija. Elsevier 2021
2. Modeling Spatiotemporal Dynamics of Multicellular signaling
Book chapter in: Introduction to Systems Biology Editor: Sandun Choi, Caltech
Humana Press, USA, 2007
Hao Zhu, Pawan Dhar
3. Computer Aided Design of Signaling Networks
Book chapter in: Information processing and living systems. Vladmir Bajic Eds.
World Scientific Press (2005)
Zhu Hao, Pawan Dhar
4. Electronic Cell Environments: Combining Gene, Protein and Metabolic Networks
Book Chapter in: Complex Systems Science in Biomedicine. Deisboeck TS, Yasha
Kresh J, Kepler TB Eds. (2003) Kluwer Academic Publishers, New York.
Pawan Dhar, Masaru Tomita
5. E- Cell: Computer simulation of Electronic Cell
Book chapter in: Encyclopedia of Molecular cell biology and Molecula Medicine.
Robert A Myers Eds.WILEY-VCH Verlag, GmbH & Co (2003)
Pawan Dhar, Kouichi Takahashi, Yoichi Nakayama, Masaru Tomita
6. Medical Genetics Questions
Exam Master Corporation, Delaware, USA. (Electronic publication), (2000)
7. Human Genetics
Book chapter in: Textbook of Pedodontics
Tandon S Eds. Paras Medical Publishers. Hyderabad., India, (2001)
1. A BIOMOLECULE BASED DATA STORAGE SYSTEM
Oct. 16, 2015 Ref: PCT/IB2015/057964 (US Patent office)
Girik MALIK and Pawan K. DHAR
2. METHOD OF DATA COMPRESSION AND DECOMPRESSION
Apr 28, 2016 Ref: 201611014807 (Indian Patent Office) July 19, 2016 PCT/IB2016/054294 (International Patent)
Girik MALIK, and Pawan K. DHAR
3. Co-Founder and Chief Mentor, Clear Meat Pvt Ltd, New Delhi.
Clear Meat is the first lab grown meat Company in India. The mandate of the company is to provide lab grown meat
that is safe, nutritious and affordable. This has led to the launch of "slaughter free" animal cell culture medium for
growing cells in-vitro. The product (ClearX9) has received good market feedback and is currently in the scale up pipeline
4. Chief Mentor, Foresight Biotech Pvt Ltd.
Our work on Dark Genome has led to spinning off this company. It's mandate is to generate therapeutic molecules
from the non-expressed DNA sequences.