Bachelor of Science, Calcutta University, 1981, Honours in Zoology-Subsidiary subjects-Chemistry and Botany
Master of Science (Zoology), Calcutta University, 1983
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), 1993, Department of Biochemistry, Calcutta University (work done in CSIR-Indian Institute of Chemical Biology). Title of thesis: Studies on membrane-bound protease of rat submaxillary gland.
Functional genomics and epigenomics of complex diseases with special emphasis on type 2 diabetes and childhood obesity
1992-96 Research Associate Staff I in the Department of Pathology. University of New Mexico, School of Medicine, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA.
1996-2000 Research Associate in the Department of Internal Medicine, University of New Mexico, School of Medicine, Albuquerque, NM 87131, USA.
2000-2005 Scientist E-I in Institute of Genomics & Integrative Biology (CSIR), Delhi University Campus, Mall Road, Delhi 110 007, INDIA.
2005-2009 Principal Scientist in CSIR-Institute of Genomics & Integrative Biology, Delhi University Campus, Mall Road, Delhi 110 007, INDIA.
2009-2015 Senior Principal Scientist in CSIR-Institute of Genomics & Integrative Biology (South Campus), Mathura Road near Sukhdev Vihar Bus Depot, New Delhi 110 025, INDIA.
2013-Present Professor in Academy of Scientific & Innovative Research (AcSIR)
2015- Professor, School of Biotechnology, Jawaharlal University (JNU), New Mehrauli Road, Near Munirka, New Delhi 110 067, INDIA
1) Consulting Editor, Diabetes (Flagship journal of American Diabetes Association)
2) Associated Editor, BMC Endocrine Disorders
3) Editorial Board Member, Nature Scientific Reports.
4) Elected Executive Committee Member, Indian Society of Human Genetics (2013-2015, 2015-2017).
5) Coordinator of Indian Diabetes Consortium (INDICO): Largest research consortium of basic scientists and physicians in the country.
6) Director of the Indian BIOCHILD (Genetics & System Biology of Childhood Obesity in India & Denmark) Consortium ( http://biochild.ku.dk/ ).
7) Member, ICMR task-force committee on Type 2 Diabetes.
8) Member, PhD entrance interview committee, School of Biotechnology, JNU, 2015
1. Elected Fellow of the National Academy of Sciences (F.N.A.Sc.), India (2011).
2. MDRF-UOM Oration Award (2011)
3. DBT-CREST Award (2011)
4. Designated Faculty-Mentor in the US D43 Millennium-Promise Award to Centre for Chronic Disease Control, New Delhi.
Principal Investigator from Indian side in “Genetics and systems BIOlogy of CHILDhood obesity in India and Denmark (BIOCHILD)” – Indo-Danish project funded jointly by India & Denmark. In India DBT funded Indian researchers for three years 2012-2014.
1. Rubina Tabassum, Ganesh Chauhan, Om Prakash Dwivedi, Anubha Mahajan, Alok Jaiswal, Ismeet Kaur, Khushdeep Bandesh, Tejbir Singh, Benan John Mathai, Yogesh Pandey, Manickam Chidambaram, Amitabh Sharma, Sreenivas Chavali, Shantanu Sengupta, Lakshmi Ramakrishnan, Pradeep Venkatesh, Sanjay K.Aggarwal, Saurabh Ghosh, Dorairaj Prabhakaran, Reddy K. Srinath, Madhukar Saxena, Monisha Banerjee, Sandeep Mathur, Anil Bhansali, Viral N.Shah, Sri Vankata Madhu, Raman K.Marwaha, Analabha Basu, Vinod Scaria, Mark I. MacCarthy, DIAGRAM, INDICO, Radha Venkatesan, Viswanathan Mohan, Nikhil Tandon & Dwaipayan Bharadwaj (2013) Genome wide association study for type 2 diabetes in Indians identifies a new susceptibility locus at 2q21. Diabetes 62: 977-986.
2. Rubina Tabassum, Yuvaraj Mahendran, Om Prakash Dwivedi, Ganesh Chauhan, Saurabh Ghosh, Raman K. Marwaha, Nikhil Tandon & Dwaipayan Bharadwaj (2012) Common variants of IL6, LEPR and PBEF1 are associated with obesity in Indian children. Diabetes 61: 626-631.
3. Sreenivas Chavali, Anubha Mahajan, Saurabh Ghosh, Bappaditya Mondal, Dwaipayan Bharadwaj (2011) Protein molecular function influences mutation rates in human genetic diseases with allelic heterogeneity. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 412(4):716-722
4. Amitabh Sharma, Sreenivas Chavali, Anubha Mahajan, Rubina Tabassum, Vijaya Banerjee, Nikhil Tandon, and Dwaipayan Bharadwaj (2005) Genetic association, post-translational modification, and protein-protein interactions in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. Molecular & Cellular Proteomics 4: 1029-1037.
5. Sreenivas Chavali, Amitabh Sharma, Rubina Tabassum and Dwaipayan Bharadwaj (2008) Sequence and structural properties of identical mutations with varying phenotypes in human coagulation factor IX. Proteins 73(1):63-71. This work is recognized as one of the outstanding works in the field and the significance of this work is highlighted recently in a commentary on this work by Prof. D. Lillicrap of Oxford University in International Monitor of Hemophilia Vol. 7 (1) 2009.
Dwaipayan Bharadwaj, Nikhil Tandon & Anubha Mahajan Invited Book Chapter titled “Inherited factors in diabetes mellitus and related metabolic disorders in the developing world” in the book titled “Genomics and Health in the Developing World” edited by Dhavendra Kumar, Oxford University Press (2012).
“Questionnaire for Diabetes (CR No. 024CR2001)” filed on 29th November, 2001 by S.K. Brahmachari, D. Bharadwaj, C.B. Rao, P.P. Majumder (Registration No. & Date: L-20444/2002 & 3rd September, 2002; Type L) from IGIB.