Ph.D. 1997, Sociology of Education, JNU, New Delhi.
M.Phil. 1992, Educational Studies, Grade A-, J NU, New Delhi. (FGPA: 7.33)
MA 1990, Sociology, FIRST DIVISION, University of Hyderabad.
Sociology of education, organizations and development
Affirmative and anti-discriminatory policies in education
Neo-liberal reforms and educational systems
April, 2009 onwards ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR OF SOCIOLOGY OF EDUCATION
April, 2003 – April, 2009 ASSISTANT PROFESSOR (Senior Lecturer), Sociology of Education, Zakir Husain Centre for Educational Studies, School of Social Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi.
April, 1999 – April 2003 ASSISTANT PROFESSOR, Sociology of Education, Zakir Husain Centre for Educational Studies, School of Social Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi.
Jan, 1998 to Apr, 1999 CONSULTANT
Academic Support & Programme Co-ordination
Campus Diversity Initiative, Project of the Ford Foundation in Higher Education in India, Educational Resources Centre, New Delhi.
Aug, 1997 to Dec, 1997 CONSULTANT – Appraisal & Supervision
National Technical Support Group, District Primary Education Programme (DPEP), Educational Consultants India Limited (Ed.CIL), New Delhi.
o SHASTRI FELLOW. 2011-12. Faculty Enrichment Fellowship, Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute, Calgary (Canada) and New Delhi (India) (To be availed in 2011 Summer)
o Elected General Secretary; Comparative Education Society of India (CESI), a constituent of World Congress of Comparative Education Societies (WCCES) (January 2011 to December 2012)
o ASIA FELLOW (2006-07), by Asian Scholarship Foundation, Bangkok. Availed the Award as a Visiting Scholar at the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM), Malaysia, for a period of nine months (March - December, 2007) , as part of the Fellowship.
o Shastri Fellow 2005-06. FACULTY RESEARCH FELLOWSHIP. Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute, Calgary and New Delhi. Availed the Fellowship as a Visiting Scholar at the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE), University of Toronto, for five weeks in May - June, 2005.
o University Grants Commission (UGC) Junior and Senior Research Fellowship (JRF and SRF) for Doctoral Study, 1992 - 97.
o Andhra Pradesh State Merit Scholarship for under-graduation (1985 - 88)
Had been a part of the joint collaborative project between Institute of Education (IoE), University of London and Zakir Husain Centre for Educational Studies, JNU. Produced a joint paper with Dr. Marie Lall of IoE, which is forthcoming in a volume on ‘Education and Social Justice in the Era of Globalisation’.
1. 2013. ‘Structural Exclusion in Everyday Institutional Life: Labeling of Stigmatised Groups in an IIT’ in ‘Sociology of Education in India: Changing Contours and emerging Concerns’, edited by Geetha B. Nambissan and S. Srinivasa Rao, (Oxford University Press: New Delhi).
2. 2011. ‘Revisiting Equality Debate in India and the UK: Race, Caste, Class Intersections in Education’, (Co-author) in ‘Education and Social Justice in the Era of Globalization: Perspectives from India and the UK’, edited by Marie Lall and Geetha B. Nambissan, (Routledge: New Delhi).
3. 2010. Between the Ethnic and the Market Agendas: Impact of Affirmative Action and Neo-liberal Reforms on Malaysian Higher Education, Contemporary Education Dialogue, Volume 7, no. 2, pp. 193 – 224.
4. 2009. ‘The Schooling of Immigrant Children in Canada: A Critique of Multicultural Education’, in Christopher Raj and Marie McAndrew (Eds). ‘Multiculturalism: Public Policy and Problem Areas in Canada and India’, Manak Publishers: New Delhi, pp. 254 – 267.
5. 2008. ‘India’s Language Debates and Education of Linguistic Minorities’, Economic and Political Weekly, vol. 43, no. 36, pp. 63 – 69.
2013. "Sociology of Education in India: Changing Contours and emerging Concerns", (Oxford University Press: New Delhi) (Co-Editor)
2013. "Sociology of Education in India: Trajectory, Location and Concerns" (Co-author), in "Sociology of Education in India: Changing Contours and emerging Concerns", edited by Geetha B. Nambissan and S. Srinivasa Rao, (Oxford University Press: New Delhi).
2008. "Equality in Higher Education: The Impact of Affirmative Action Policies in India", in Sukhadeo Thorat and Narender Kumar (Eds.). (2008). In Search of Inclusive Policy: Addressing Graded Inequality, Jaipur: Rawat Publishers, pp286 – 311. (Originally published in Edgar Beckham (ed.), Global Collaborations: The Role of Higher Education in Diverse Democracies, Washington D.C: Association of American Colleges and Universities, 2002, pp. 41 – 62.)