Faculty Club Activities
JNU Faculty club organizes tennis tournament for the children, who are learning tennis from the tennis academy in JNU campus. Tennis coaching classes are being held in the campus for faculty children for the past 8 years, organized by faculty club.
JNU faculty club celebrates 15th Aug. and 26th January by organizing a football/Cricket match and painting competition for faculty children in the stadium. Every year on this auspicious day, faculty club organizes events for the faculty and their families. This has been a practice for the past few years. There are nearly 100 children of faculty ranging between age 2 to 18 years old, shows the importance of having a club like faculty club to take care of their needs, especially sports and other co-curricular activities in the campus.
Dance, Music and Art Classes for Faculty and their Children
JNU Faculty Club has started dance and art classes for the faculty and their children in the Faculty Centre.
Current Activities are
1. Kuchipudi Dance classes are held on Tuesday and Saturday at 4.30 by the renowned Kuchipudi maestro Jayaram Rao and his wife Vanashree Rao, recognized today as outstanding exponents of the Kuchipudi style of dance. They are acclaimed nationally and internationally. Guru Jayarama Rao received ‘Padmashri’ in 2004, and Sangeet Natak Akademi Award, Sahitya Kala Parishad Samman and many other awards. Some of his illustrious students include Swapnasundari, Meenakshi Seshadri and Vanashree. Their website is www.artindia.net/raos
2. Oddisi Dance classes are held on Thrusday 4.30 and Sunday 11 a.m. under the guidance Guru Shri. Hari Krishna Behera and his daughter Kalyani Behera. He is the first Guru to introduce Oddissi dance in Delhi. Honored with the Central Sangeet Natak Academy Award, has renowned disciples like, Sonal Mansingh, Radha Reddy, Madavi Mudgal and many more. Their website is www.guruharikrishnabehera.com
3. Painting Classes: Renouned artist Ms. Indira, the art teacher teaches creative art and traditional Tanjore style and belongs to traditional art family. She is Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) from Chandigarh University and has been selected by the Min. of H.R.D. to train and take classes. She holds workshops both nationally and internationally and teaches at Tamil Sangham.
4. Dance Classes: Shri. Ghanshyam Pandit from Bharatiya Kala Kendra, is an all round artist, proficient in Classical Hindustani music, plays instruments like tabla, congo, bongo, etc. also knows kathak, folk, ballet, chow dance is coming to Faculty Centre to teach Hindustani Vocal Music. For learning instruments, if there are enough enthusiasts, Teacher will take classes separately.
5. Abacus Classes: Ms. Indira Mani, a faculty from Ramjus School teaches abacus to faculty children.This course has been very popular among children. She is taking classes on Saturday and Sunday.
6. Chess Classes: Mr Gagan Chitkara, renowed Chess master (FIDE Elo -20171;Ranking- Asia; 1589; India-337)organizes chess classes on every Sunday at faculty club. Mr Gagan also teaches chess at Sanskrit School.