* Diploma, Department of Peace and Conflict Research, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden, 2000
* Ph.D. , West European Studies, School of International Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India, 1997
* Diploma, University of Vienna International Summer Programme, Strobl, Austria,1993
* M.Phil., Political Science with specialisation in International Relations, University of Delhi, New Delhi, India, 1989
EU and German Foreign and Security Policy
Indian Politics and Foreign Policy
South Asian Security
Comparative Regional Integration
Peace and Conflict resolution
• Professor, Centre for European Studies, SIS, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India, July 2006 onwards
• Associate Professor, Centre for European Studies, SIS, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India, April 2004 – July 2006
• Lecturer to Reader, Political Science, Zakir Husain College, University of Delhi, New Delhi, India, August 1988 to April 2004
• Guest Faculty, Foreign Service Institute, Ministry of External Affairs New Delhi, India
- Chairperson, 30 November 2017 – 29 November 2019 and July 2009 – July 2011
- Director, Europe Area Studies Programme, November 2011- November 201
- Director , Europe Area Studies Programme, November 2011- November 2013
- Chairperson, Centre for European Studies, SIS, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India, July 2009 – July 2011
- Coordinator, Grant given by the Netherlands Prime Minister CES, SIS, JNU, 2006-2008
2017 Jean Monnet Chair in the EU, Security, Peace and Conflict Resolution (EU-SPCR) Awarded by the European Commission 2017-2020.
2016 UGC-DAAD- Indo-German Partnership, Awarded by the University Grants Commission for collaboration with University of Würzburg, July 2016-June 2020.
2012 Order of Merit (Bundesverdienstkreuz), Conferred by President of the Federal Republic of Germany, German Embassy, New Delhi, January 13, 2012
2007 Associate Fellow, Asia Society, New York, 2007- 2014
2007 U S International Visitor Leadership Program, United States Department of State, Washington DC, USA, May 21 – June 8, 2007
2006 European Union Visitor Programme, European Commission, Brussels, Belgium, February 6-10, 2006
2005 Programme des Personnalites D'Avenir, French Ministry of External Affairs, Paris, France, October 2-13, 2005
• Field Specialist, The Role of Emerging Powers in International Security, (Brazil, South Africa and India), Ford Foundation Project led by the Institute of International Relations, University of Brasilia, Brazil, November 2004 - May 2006.
* Philipp Gieg, Timo Lowinger, Manuel Pietzko, Anja Zürn Ummu Salma Bava, and Gisela Müller-Brandeck-Bocquet, ed., EU-India Relations - The Strategic Partnership in Light of the European Union’s Global Strategy, Switzerland: Springer, March 2021.
* “EU-India Cooperation: Partnership for a New Multilateral Agenda- A Policy Paper” in EU-India Think Tanks Twinning Initiative, European Delegation to India, New Delhi, India, 15 March 2021.
* “Germany’s Role in the UNSC, 2019-2020”, in German Review on the United Nations, Berlin: Deutsche Gesellschaft für die Vereinten Nationen e.V. February 2021.https://zeitschrift-vereinte-nationen.de/suche/suche/autor/ummu-salma-bava/
* “EU-India Cooperation in the Indo-Pacific Region- A Policy Paper” in EU-India Think Tanks Twinning Initiative Experts Workshop, European Delegation to India, New Delhi, India, November 2020 https://euindiathinktanks.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/EU-India-Cooperation-in-the-Indo-Pacific-Region.pdf
* “South Asia between Nationalism and Regionalism” in Thomas Meyer, José Luís de Sales Marques, Mario Telò, ed., Regionalism and Multilateralism: Politics, Economics, Culture. New York: Routledge, 2020
* The European Union and the Changing Security Dynamics in Europe” in Gulshan Sachdeva, ed., Challenges in Europe. Indian Perspectives. New Delhi: Springer, 2019.
* Bava, Ummu Salma, "India`s Foreign Policy in The Regional Context" in Emerging Powers: India, Brazil and South Africa (IBSA) and The Future of South-South Cooperation (Washington, D.C. Woodrow Wilson Centre for Scholars, August 2009): 16-20.
* Bava, Ummu Salma, "The EU and India: Challenges to a Strategic Partnership", in Giovanni Grevi and ?lvaro de Vasconcelos, ed., Partnerships for Effective multilateralism. EU Relations with Brazil, China, India and Russia, Chaillot Paper ? No. 109, (Paris: EUISS, May 2008): 105-113
* Bava, Ummu Salma, "New Powers for Global Change? India`s Role in the Emerging World Order" Dialogue on Globalization, Friedrich Ebert Stiftung (FES) Briefing Paper 4, New Delhi, March 2007.
* Bava, Ummu Salma, "Great expectations: what Asia wants from Europe" in Challenge Europe special issue -Dragons, elephants and tigers: adjusting to the new global reality, European Policy Centre, Brussels, September 2006, Issue 15: 90-95.
* Bava, Ummu Salma, "India: Foreign Policy Strategy between Interests and Ideas" in Daniel Flemes, ed., Regional Leadership in the Global System. Ideas, Interests, Resources and Strategies of Regional Powers (Ashgate, 2010): 113-125.
* Bava, Ummu Salma, "Regional Integration: Lessons for South Asia from Around the World" in Rafiq Dossani Daniel Sneider and Vikram Sood, ed., Does South Asia Exist? Prospects for Regionalism in South Asia (Brookings, 2010): 37-52.
* Bava, Ummu Salma, "India-EU Relations: Building a Strategic Partnership", in Richard Balme and Brian Bridges, ed., Europe-Asia Relations. Building Multilateralisms (Basingstoke, Hampshire: Palgrave, 2008).