Ph. D., School of Life Sciences, JNU
In my laboratory, we use mammalian cells and protozoan parasite as model systems to address questions in the broad area of 'Molecular Cell biology in Health and Disease'. We have special interest in inter-disciplinary studies at the interface between molecular and cell biology to understand the role of ubiquitin-proteasome system in the control of cellular functions. The current interests include
(a) Ubiquitin proteasome pathway in cell cycle regulation
(b) protein quality control mechanisms and phagocytosis
(c) host-pathogen interaction and
(d) Ubiquitin pathway mediated regulation of the development changes in E. histolytica
(e) Screening of selective inhibitors against the 26S proteasomes of E. histolytica
2008-Present Assistant Professor, School of Biotechnology, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
2005-2008 Lecturer, School of Biotechnology, GGSIP University, Delhi
2004-2005 School of Environmental Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi on Department of Science and Technology funded project
2001-2002 Research Associate, Regulation of Protein Function Laboratory, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, U.S.A.
1996-2000 Visiting Fellow, Laboratory of Immune Cell Biology, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, U.S.A.
2016 Visitors Award for Research constituted by the President of India. Awarded as part of the JNU Molecular Parasitology Group for Best Research by the Honorable President, Shri Pranab Mukherjee at Rashtrapati Bhawan
1996 - 2000 Fogarty International Visiting Fellowship
1991 - 1996 Senior Research Fellowship, Council for Scientific and Industrial Research, Government of India
1988 - 1990 Junior Research Fellowship, Council for Scientific and Industrial Research, Government of India
Research grants have been received from all national granting agencies. Currently running grants are funded by STARS/MHRD (in collaboration with Dr. Sunando Datta, IISER Bhopal), DST funded multi-investigator grant "National Centre for screening natural products for parasitic diseases, and ICMR. Past grants include funding from DBT, DRDO and DST. Funding was also received from DBT-BUILDER, DST-Centre of Excellence in molecular parasitology, DST-PURSE and UPE-II grant.
- Ramanujan, A., Bansal, S., Guha, M., Pande, N. T., Tiwari Swati (2021) LxCxE motif of the APC/C coactivator subunit FZR1 is critical for interaction with the retinoblastoma protein. Exp Cell Res. 404:112632 doi: 10.1016/j.yexcr.2021.112632
- Bansal, S., Tiwari, S. (2019) Mechanisms for the temporal regulation of substrate ubiquitination by the anaphase-promoting complex/cyclosome Cell Div. 14: 14/ doi: 10.1186/s13008-019-0057-5
- Kumari, R., Gupta, P. and Tiwari, S. (2018) Ubc7/Ube2g2 ortholog in Entamoeba histolytica: connection with the plasma membrane and phagocytosis. Parasitol. Res. 117, 1599-1611/ doi 10.1007/s00436-018-5842-6
- Ramanujan, A. and Tiwari, S. (2016) APC/C and Retinoblastoma interaction: Cross-talk of Retinoblastoma protein with the Ubiquitin Proteasome Pathway. Biosci. Rep. 36/ art:e00377 / doi 10.1042/BSR20160152
- Arya, S., Sharma, G., Gupta, P. and Tiwari, S. (2012) In silico analysis of ubiquitin/ubiquitin-like modifiers and their conjugating enzymes in Entamoeba species. Parasitol. Res. 111: 37-51.
- Webster, J. M., Tiwari, S., Weissman, A. M. and Wojcikiewicz, R. J. H. (2003) Inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate receptor ubiquitination is mediated by mamalian Ubc7, a component of the Endoplasmic Reticulum-Associated Degradation pathway, and is inhibited by chelation of intracellular Zn2+. J. Biol. Chem. 278: 38238-38246.
- Magnifico, A., Ettenberg, S., Yang, C., Mariano, J., Tiwari, S., Fang, F., Lipkowitz, S., and Weissman, A. M. (2003) HECT E3s target Cbl proteins for proteasomal degradation: implications for tyrosine kinase-mediated regulation. J. Biol. Chem. 278: 43169-43177.
- Fang, S., Ferrone, M., Yang, C., Tiwari, S., and Weissman, A. M. (2001) The tumor autocrine motility factor receptor, GP78, is a ubiquitin protein ligase implicated in degradation from the endoplasmic reticulum. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 98: 14422-14427.
- Tiwari, S. and Weissman, A. M. (2001) Endoplasmic Reticulum Associated Degradation (ERAD) of T-cell receptor subunits: Involvement of ER-associated Ubiquitin Conjugating Enzymes (E2s). J. Biol. Chem. 19: 16193-16200.
- Tiwari, S. (2015) Book review: Photosynthesis: Basics to applications. Current Science, 109: 2313
- Tiwari, S. (2015) Book review: Photobiology: The Science of Light and Life. Current Science, 108: 2106
- Tiwari, S., Tripathy B. C., Jajoo A., Das, A. B., Murata, N., Sane, P. V., Govindjee (2014) Prasanna K. Mohanty (1934–2013): a great photosynthetiker and a wonderful human being who touched the hearts of many. Photosynth. Res., 122: 235-260
- Prakash, J. S. S. and Tiwari S. (2013) Prasanna Mohanty (1934–2013): a pioneer and a loving teacher. Physiol Mol Biol Plants 19: 301-305