Centre for Philosophy,
School of Social Sciences
email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org
M.A., M. Phil. and Ph.D. in Philosophy (University of Delhi)
Areas of Interest/Specialization
Indian Philosophy, Continental Philosophy, Comparative Philosophy
Earlier worked at Department of Philosophy, University of Delhi
Awards & Honours
- Awarded Indian Philosophy Congress gold medal for scoring highest marks in M.A in 1995.
- Awarded N.V Thadani memorial prize for scoring highest marks in Indian Philosophy in M.A in annual convocation held in the year 1995.
- Awarded Raman Fellowship for Post Doctoral Studies at University of Massachusetts for the year 2013 (could not avail).
Best Peer Reviewed Publications
- Verma, Ajay and Rathore, Aakash Singh (Editors), "Dr. Ambedkar’s Buddha and His Dhamma : A Critical Edition", Oxford University Press, Delhi, 2011.
- Verma, Ajay. Bhartrhari’s Verbal Holism: Some Hermeneutical Queries, Journal of Indian Council of Philosophical Research, June 2015, Volume 32, Issue 2, pp 211-226, First online: 16 April 2015, JICPR Springer. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs40961-015-0021-y.
- Verma, Ajay. "Systems and Lifeworlds: A Habermasian Overview of Major Trends in Classical Indian Philosophy" Studies in Humanities and Social Sciences, Journal of the Inter-University Centre for Humanities and Social Sciences, Vol. XVIII, Number 1& 2, 2011 Editor Varsha Bhagat-Ganguly.
- Verma, Ajay,‘I and the Other: A Hermeneutical Study of the Epistemological Models available in Indian Philosophy’ in Journal of East and West Thought, Summer No. 2, Vol. 4, 2014, California, USA, p.81-97.
- "Play and Method: A Review of Gadamer and Habermas Debate", The Philosophical Quarterly, Amalner, Vol. VI, No.3-4, July- October 2000, pp. 77-92.
- "Envisaging the Possibility of Ethics in the Postmodernist Lifeworld" The Philosophical Quarterly, Amalner, Vol. XI, No.1-4, January- October 2005, pp. 103-113.
Recent Peer Reviewed Journals/Books
- Verma, Ajay (2013), ‘Ethics of Jainism’ in Understanding Ethics, Sahni P. and Chaturvedi, V.(editors), Macmillan Press, Delhi.
- Verma, Ajay (2017) Reason, Emotion and Beyond: Revisiting Schopenhauer, Bhartṛhari and Abhinavagupta in Schopenhauer on Self, World and Morality, Arati Barua (editor), Springer.
- Verma, Ajay (2019) Perception, Apperception and Understanding of the ‘Other’ in A Phenomenological Appraisal of Nyāya, Buddhist and Advaitin Theory of Knowledge in Problem of the Self: Consciousness, Subjectivity and the Other, Manidipa Sen (editor), Aakar Publications.
- Verma, Ajay (2019) Sanction and Sanctity of the Vedic Word: A Review of K. Satchidananda Murty’s Vedic Hermeneutics in Reason and Revelation, Reason, Revelation and Peace: Evaluations of K. Satchidananda Murty's Philosophy, Ashok Vohra(editor), Motilal Banarasidass Publishers, Delhi.
- Verma, Ajay (2020) ‘Ambedkar and the Metaphysics of Social Justice’ (editor) Rathore, Aakash Singh, B.R. Ambedkar: The Quest for Justice volume two, Oxford University Press.
- Verma, Ajay (2020) ‘Epistemological Foundations of Caste-Identities: A Review of Buddhist Critique of Indian Realism’ in Classical Buddhism, Neo-Buddhism and the Question of Caste edited by Professor Pradeep Gokhale, Routledge.