1.Though JNU is a Delhi-based University, it has gone out much beyond the metropolis by reaching to the door-steps of candidates having its entrance test at 39 Centres in all parts of the country. This has particularly benefited the economically weaker and socially deprived sections of society. Candidates from the above strata having flair for higher academic pursuits are given equal chance in JNU by competing with others in the entrance examination and potential candidates not only get selected but also pick up fast in terms of sociability, public awareness etc. Such students with strong academic base even compete and successfully come out in Civil Services and banking exams. The University serves as a catalyst in terms of personality formation of students from socially and economically weaker sections of society in particular and all other students in general. The students who have passed out from JNU are placed in academies, civil services, media, NGOs etc. all over the country.
2. The studies in JNU being interdisciplinary, students get exposure not only in the core discipline but also in other disciplines as well. This enhances their capability in terms of expression, vision, outlook and awareness which help them in competitive examinations and they have an edge over others in selections. Participatory teaching and research is the hallmark of JNU. Students are required to present seminars, quizzes, term-papers and to participate in group discussions. All this helps them to gain confidence in their public dealings as well.
3. Continuous evaluation in JNU has stood the test of times for the last 30 years. It has set a model for other Universities to follow. The UGC have set the goal for other Universities to undertake reforms in examination system which is already being followed in JNU since its inception. JNU has earned the distinction of adhering to the schedules of admissions of students, fulfilling the teaching requirements, holding examinations on time, and declaration of results as announced in the Academic Calendar of the University.
4. Another unique feature of JNU is that the Students Union manages its affairs without any intervention by the authorities. As per the Constitution, the Union sets up Election Commission to conduct elections. JNU student's elections are highly democratic and it is an example to be emulated by other student's organisations.
5. Ragging is unheard of in the history of JNU. Publicity is given to condemn and curb such activities.
6. Gender Sensitization Committee against Sexual Harassment (GSCASH) has been functioning for sometime now. It is the policy of Jawaharlal Nehru University that no sexual harassment occurs at its campus. An employee or student may be subject to disciplinary action for violation of this policy.
7. Lastly, JNU is one University which has made a highly perceptible impact on Indian society by way of its national character, liberal and democratic ethos, high teaching standards, quality research and publications, etc. The presence of JNU's graduates and researchers can be seen in all walks of life including academics, administration, media and other fields of activities.